Savvy's phenomenal team
Savvy has assembled the most experienced, seasoned and talented team of general aviation maintenance experts in the industry:
- Mike Busch A&P/IA (founder/CEO) is a renowned aviation writer, teacher, aviation type club tech rep, aircraft owner advocate, and entrepreneur. For more than two decades, Mike has been assisting aircraft owners with their maintenance problems through his work with EAA, AOPA, the Cessna Pilots Association, the American Bonanza Society, and the Cirrus Owners & Pilots Association. He co-founded AVweb in 1995 and served as its editor-in-chief for more than 7 years. Mike was honored by the FAA as “National Aviation Maintenance Technician of the Year” for 2008.
- Tony Barrell A&P/IA (account manager) has been involved in GA maintenance for nearly 30 years. Before joining Savvy, Tony was employed by Ohio State University Airport at their superb maintenance facility for 25 years, and managed the shop for 15 years. He has experience maintaining a broad range of GA airplanes, including extensive experience with Cirrus aircraft, having built his shop at OSU into the finest Cirrus Service Center in the region.
- Clay Caessens A&P (avionics guru) owned and operated Blue Angel Aviation & Avionics in Pensacola, Florida, the premier avionics repair station in the Florida panhandle for almost 20 years. Clay has decades of experience troubleshooting, repairing and installing a broad range of avionics in both legacy and technically advanced aircraft. He is factory trained and qualified on glass cockpit systems from Aspen, Avidyne, Bendix-King and Garmin (among others).
- Tom Cooper A&P/IA (account manager) has been maintaining GA aircraft for over 20 years. Tom served as Director of Maintenance of Southeast Aero Services, a large Cirrus Service Center in St. Augustine, Florida. He now owns and operates Mustang Aero Corp. in DeLand, Florida.
- Isaiah Daw A&P/IA (account manager) is one of the most knowledgeable Cirrus maintenance experts in the US. He worked for Cirrus Aircraft as a regional technical support manager, and subsequently ran a large Part 145 Cirrus Authorized Service Center (Clear Star at Addison and Denton, Texas) as its general manager and director of maintenance before founding his own maintenance facility Dedicated Aircraft Work at Dallas Executive Airport [KRBD] in Dallas, Texas.
- Al Hawthorne A&P/IA (account manager) has more than two decades of GA maintenance experience. Before joining the Savvy team, Al served as Director of Maintenance for Woodland Aviation, a large Beech, Cessna and Cirrus service center in Northern California, and also as northwest regional technical support manager for Cirrus Aircraft.
- Jeff Iskierka A&P/IA (technical director) spent a decade as Director of Maintenance of Twin Cities Aviation in Minneapolis before joining Savvy on a full-time basis as its most senior account manager, and then being promoted to director of technical services. Jeff is a nationally known Cirrus expert, having been immersed in Cirrus maintenance since 1999.
- Phil Kirkham A&P/IA (account manager) owns and operates a Coastal Valley Aviation in California, has three decades of GA maintenance experience, and is a nationally known expert on Beech, Cessna, Cirrus, Mooney and Piper maintenance.
- Paul New A&P/IA (account manager) owns and operates Tennessee Aircraft Services, serves as a technical representative and instructor for the Cessna Pilots Association, and is a nationally known maintenance expert specializing in structural repair. He is factory trained on the Columbia/Cessna 300/350/400 and G-1000. Paul is the FAA’s “National Aviation Maintenance Technician of the Year” honoree for 2007, and is an FAA-designated airworthiness representative (DAR).
- Eric Svelmoe A&P/IA (account manager) has been active in aviation maintenance for 30 years, and has experience maintaining a broad range of GA aircraft. Prior to joining Savvy, Eric served as chief inspector for a large Cirrus Service Center in Oregon, and is factory trained in all aspects of Cirrus maintenance. He is a commercial, instrument-rated pilot for both single and multiengine airplanes, and also a CFI.
- Steve Vander Valk A&P/IA (account manager) owns and operates Paragon Aircraft Services Inc. in Caldwell, N.J., a full-service maintenance facility specializing in Cessna and Cirrus aircraft. Steve has more than three decades of wide-ranging GA maintenance experience on everthing from piston singles to turboprops and light bizjets.
Assisting this incomparable group of aviation maintenance technicians is Savvy's superb support staff:
- Ann Devers (manager of operations) is in charge of the non-technical aspects of Savvy's maintenance management services, including aircraft maintenance records, client and service center support services, contracts, insurance, and numerous other administrative responsibilities.
- Joe Godfrey (engine data analyst) provides engine monitor data analysis to SavvyMx clients. Joe is a multi-talented -- composer, musician, educator, writer, pilot and aircraft owner -- and is academic director of the Audio Production and Web Design & Interactive Media programs at the Art Institute of California in San Diego.
- Doug Griffith, Attorney at Law (corporate counsel) handles Savvy's legal affairs, including risk management, contractual matters, and insurance. Doug holds both a degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Texas and a Juris Doctor from Loyola Law School. He has a long history practicing aviation law, with a special emphasis on maintenance-related litigation.
- Adam Hall (senior engine data analyst) heads up Savvy's team of engine monitor data analysts for both SavvyMx clients and SavvyAnalysis Pro subscribers. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Cornell University, specializing in microbiology and genetics. Adam is a biotechnology research associate at the renowned J. Craig Venter Institute in San Diego. He's also an active instrument-rated private pilot.
- Alex Madison (engine data analyst) provides engine monitor data analysis to SavvyAnalysis Pro subscribers. Alex is a private pilot and an aeronatical engineer who got his engineering degree at the University of Texas at Austin (where he was head of the UT Flying Club) and is presently working at The Boeing Company in Seattle.
- Adam Smith (VP Business Development) is responsible both for marketing Savvy's current business activities and masterminding its new business initiatives. Adam joined Savvy after a 14-year stint in top management of EAA and two years as a Senior VP at AOPA. His aviation credentials also include being a distinguished aviation museum curator and aviation historian, as well as being a longtime GA pilot, aircraft owner, and ebullient enthusiast about pretty much anything involving aviation.
- Chris Wrather Ph.D./A&P (director of Savvy/manager of SavvyAnalysis) is a member of Savvy's board of directors, and serves as chief business adviser and counselor to CEO Mike Busch. Chris is responsible both for analyzing and managing Savvy's current business operations and for helping guide its future business activities. He also serves as project manager for the SavvyAnalysis.com engine monitor data analysis program. Chris has decades of experience in top management roles and major corporate board positions. He holds a doctorate in Operations Research and is a longtime pilot, aircraft owner and A&P mechanic.
There is simply no other general aviation maintenance organization capable of bringing this amount of experience and expertise to the maintenance of owner-flown general aviation aircraft.
Next: Frequently-asked questions.